L’OIM recrute un assistant aux opérations – chef d’équipe (soutien sur le terrain), N’Djamena, Tchad
Special Vacancy Notice
Open to internal candidates
Position Title : Operations Assistant- Team Leader (Field Support)
Duty Station : N’Djamena- Tchad
Classification : G5/1
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 Octobre 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of mission and the direct supervision of Movement Operations Manager, the Operations Assistant – Team Leader (Field Support) is responsible for undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities :
- Undertake field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation. As required, monitor and guide teams of Operations Clerks and Operations Assistants in completing field support activities ;
- In coordination with the Movement Operations Manager, lead Field Support Teams as they perform airport services, as well as perform airport services when required, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems ;
- Lead Field Support Teams as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s) ;
- Assist in the coordination of timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations. Work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard ;
- Work with units and departments and beneficiaries on pre-departure formalities including but not limited to travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Assist with daily discussions with beneficiaries on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Keep all posters and informational messages up-to-date and placed in visible locations ;
- Provide assistance at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods and weekends, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise ;
- Lead the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately ;
- Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water ;
- Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Movement Operations Manager and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention ;
- Alert Movement Operations Manager or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners ;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Core Functions / Responsibilities :
- Conduct regular field missions to the target communities assigned to implement the different project components ;
- Inform communities and local authorities about the different project components in a transparent manner and carefully managing their expectations ;
- Assist in the selection of direct beneficiaries of trainings and in-kind support according to established criteria ;
- Establish community initiative groups in coordination with the Senior Project Assistant ;
- Keep constant communication with the members of the community initiative groups and local authorities, highlighting any challenges to the Senior Project Assistant immediately ;
- Facilitate inclusive community consultation involving local authorities with regards to projects to be supported with the stabilization grant ;
- Accompany consultants for trainings, the judges for the registration campaign and the Senior Project assistant on missions to the communities, depending on the activity ;
- Any other such duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience :
- Completed secondary [high school] education required and five years of relevant working experience; three years of working experience with a bachelor’s degree ;
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage.
- For this position, fluency in French and English is required (oral and written) ;
- Working knowledge of local languange is an advantage.
Required Competencies :
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies :
- Inclusion and respect for diversity : respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible ;
- Integrity and transparency : maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct ;
- Professionalism : demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1 :
- Teamwork : develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results ;
- Delivering results : produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes ;
- Managing and sharing knowledge : continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate ;
- Accountability : takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work ;
- Communication : encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply :
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org referring to this advertisement in the subject : “ SVN-TD-0028-2021 ”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter in a unique file.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period : From 27.09.2021 to 11.10.2021.