Timbuktu Ressources (Timbuktu) SARL recrute un expert social et environnemental, Mali
Timbuktu Ressources (Timbuktu) SARL is a subsidiary of Firefinch Limited, active in the field of mining research, based in the Republic of Mali. As part of the development of its activities, Timbuktu is recruiting an Environmental and Social Expert for the Goulamina Lithium Project.
Background information :
- The Goulamina Lithium Project (Goulamina) is a development-ready spodumene project located 50km from Bougouni in Mali with all approvals and key permits received to bring the project into production ;
- Firefinch completed a definitive feasibility study (DFS) in October 2020 which outlined a 436ktpa 6.0% spodumene concentrate operation with a low capital expenditure requirement of US$194m and All-in Sustaining Costs (AISC) of US$313/t concentrate ;
- Simple open-pit mining via conventional drill-and-blast and load-and-haul methods ;
- Goulamina is one of the three hard rock projects of scale globally with 100% spodumene concentrate offtake currently available and will be West Africa’s first lithium mine ;
- The Project is fully funded in partnership with Ganfeng, who are one of the world’s largest lithium hydroxide producers ;
- Non-process infrastructure includes a power station (with renewable / hybrid options), 150-room camp, tailings facility and water supply via Sélingué Dam ;
- Spodumene concentrate is expected to be trucked to Abidjan Port in Côte d’Ivoire (West Africa’s largest port).
Description of the Role :
The initial objective of this role is to provide the appropriate management and guidance to ensure that the Project is developed in accordance with the requirements of the approved Mining Exploitation Permit.
Key related components of the permit include :
- the Environmental and Social Impact assessment (ESIA) ;
- the Community Development Plan (CDP), and ;
- the Livelihood Restoration Plan (LRP).
The successful candidate will have experience working under the legislation, protocols and practices covered by these documents.
The incumbent will be expected to evolve with the role, through the project implementation phase and into mining operations. The mine life of Goulamina is expected to be well in excess of the 23 years that have been presented under the DFS.
The incumbent is also expected to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization and based on other operational sites.
Key duties and responsibilities include :
- Demonstrate absolute commitment and leadership in providing a safe and healthy working environment ;
- Build and manage a team to ensure that all community and environment objectives, outlined under the exploitation permit are either met or exceeded ;
- Develop, implement, and monitor community engagement and environmental strategies, policies and programs that promote sustainable development ;
- Establish a strategic partnership with other Departments, within the framework of the implementation of joint initiatives in environmental and social management ;
- Fully engage with the local communities and identify opportunities for training and employment ;
- Recognise the importance of community relations, environmental management, and security to the operating environment and manage areas of responsibility in recognition of the need to maintain a Social Licence to Operate ;
- Identify and assist with the interpretation of environmental risks and resolve emerging issues; and ensure that appropriate focus and resources are available to achieve environmental objectives ;
- Provide guidance to consultants and contractors engaged on the Project ;
- Ensure that all approved systems and programmes for environmental auditing, monitoring and evaluation of the mine site are planned and budgeted for appropriately ;
- Conduct annual monitoring and evaluation of mine environmental programmes ;
- Respect and ensure that others respect the principles, procedures, and codes of good practices in environmental management ;
- Monitor the environmental performance of the Department ;
- Coordinate all aspects of resource use, pollution reduction, waste management, environmental health, risk assessment and employee involvement ;
- Keep abreast of legislation and good environmental practices ;
- Coordinate public hearings and consultations on environmental issues ;
- Lead public relations activities, communications, and education plans regarding environmental issues ;
- Train staff at all levels in environmental and social issues and responsibilities ;
- Participate in education and environmental and social research ;
- Review day-to-day activities to determine where improvements can be made and ensure compliance with environmental and social legislation throughout the organization ;
- Have a broad mandate and review the entire operation, perform audits and environmental and social assessments, identify, and resolve environmental and social issues.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience :
- Conversant in English and French and Bambara ;
- 5 years’ plus experience in an Environmental, Social & Community advisory or management role for a mining operation ;
- Bachelor’s degree or similar in environmental or social ;
- Good computer skills and competency in use of specialist programmes such as GIS and risk management tools ;
- Able to demonstrate significant experience in a similar role and leadership skills ;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including concise report writing ;
- Ability to work effectively in a team ;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and networking capabilities ;
- Have a good knowledge of local laws, legislation and standards relating to community development practices ;
- Have a good ability to communicate in French and English, both speaking and writing ;
- Have excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and know how to build effective relationships and networks with internal and external stakeholders ;
- Possess strong training and mentoring skills with the ability to develop an effective team ;
- Be able to work in a multicultural and changing environment ;
- Be able to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously ;
- Have proven skills in supervision ;
- Have strong interpersonal and emotional ability to build long-term relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including the management team (Morila leadership) ;
- Have strong financial management skills with the ability to develop, implement and control budgets ;
- Possess advanced planning and problem-solving skills with an innovative and proactive approach.
Personal Traits :
- High level of personal drive ;
- Collaborative approach to achieving results ;
- High level of integrity and respect ;
- Good awareness of impact of own style on others ;
- Sensitivity to adapt to working with different cultures.
An attractive market salary will be offered to the successful candidate. You will also join a global mining company that has numerous sites operating in gold and lithium mining. Our company offers good career development opportunities and the Goulamina Project will convert to an operational site once construction has been completed. Therefore, offering the successful candidate an opportunity to transition to an Environmental and Social Manager down the track.
How to Apply :
If you are interested, please send your resume, in English, to GoulaminaHR@firefinchltd.com and list on the subject title : Goulamina Project Environmental and Social Expert.
A member of the Recruitment team will be back in touch to advise if your application will be shortlisted.
No agency referrals will be accepted at this time.
Submission Deadline : 12 November 2021 at 5pm GMT.